Live in Full View

I have a mentor who really means a lot to me. I often face questions that I have no clue how to answer. Then I go to my mentor. Most times, he doesn't give me a direct answer, but guides me to eventually get to my own answer. I have immense respect for him.

But his help is making a contribution to my life in ways that he doesn't even realise. You see, there are things I won't do or say in his presence. I will never, for example, tell a joke in his presence that is not 100% clean.

Now I use our relationship as a benchmark. Everywhere I go, among friends and acquaintances and even with strangers I now always try and behave as I would have with him.

It seems to me this is exactly what Paul asked his friends from Philippi: 12What I'm getting at, friends, is that you should simply keep on doing what you've done from the beginning. When I was living among you, you lived in responsive obedience. Now that I'm separated from you, keep it up. Better yet, redouble your efforts.

That is what we humans are like. We behave differently when our parents are present. I remember when I started smoking I never wanted to smoke in the presence of mom. One afternoon my brother and I were smoking in the TV room and my mom came in without warning. Slowly I lowered my hand and put the cigarette out in the ashtray next to the couch - without her noticing, or so I thought. When my mom left, my brother pointed out that I had missed the ashtray and put the butt out on the carpet. No, no, no!

Actually, it's so stupid to act differently in front of people you respect, because every moment of every day we're in the presence of God. The Holy Spirit is in everyone who believes and God knows every move we make.

It's not as if God is watching us to catch us when we make a wrong move. No, God is not like that. I think God is actually exactly the opposite.

When I still worked at the factory, I always encouraged those in leadership positions not to watch their people like a hawk to try and catch them doing something wrong. No, I taught them to see where they could "catch" people doing well and to praise them accordingly.

And that is what God does too. God, who is always in our presence, wants to encourage us to do the right thing. He does more than watch us. He is involved; He wants to guide us to do right in everything we do.

Paul motivates us even more: 12... you lived in responsive obedience... keep it up. Better yet, redouble your efforts.

God is part of our lives. God is not watching us to catch us when we do wrong. No, He wants to help us make the right choices. Come on, let's live a life where we never need to be embarrassed in front of people.

Bible Reading

   Philippians 2:12

Reflection

Are you embarrassed about your life?

How do you feel about the fact that God is watching you?

Do you give God space to have a say in your life?

Prayer

Father, thank you that we know You are involved in our lives. Your Word teaches us to do your will. Thank you for watching us with a loving eye and leading us on the right path. Amen

For more information go to http://www.crossroad247.com



 By Gerjo Ben Van Der Merwe


Article Source: Live in Full View

No comments:

Post a Comment

Informations From: Collections Article

Nasib

Nasib Nasib Oliver Cadwell. Usia 25 tahun. Mengambil jurusan keuangan. 3 tahun pengalaman kerja. "Sempurna. Dialah yang kita butuhka...