Jesus Does Everything

God entered into a covenant with Abraham. He would be a God to Abraham. Abraham would have as many descendants as there were stars in the sky. In order to continue the covenant that God had entered into with man, God decided that each boy that was born had to be circumcised. With each circumcision the covenant or agreement between God and man was sanctified and celebrated and man was reminded of it afresh.

Then Jesus came and upset the applecart. No more circumcision. Jesus' crucifixion and the outpouring of the Holy Spirit made circumcision unnecessary. God made a new contract or commitment in which man has no part. A sign from man was no longer required to sanctify this commitment. No, what Jesus did was enough.

3... We couldn't carry this off by our own efforts, and we know it...

I don't know why this is so difficult for us to understand. Maybe because it sounds too easy. Too cheap. Probably because we come from a place where you have to work for something. If you don't work, you get nothing. That's it.

However, with God and Jesus things work differently. We get everything by grace alone. With God we receive without having earned it. On the contrary, we actually deserve to be thrown away. We deserve to be punished for our deeds. But when God moves, things happen differently.

We don't have to do anything to bring about our salvation. Jesus has done everything for us, on our behalf, in our place.

We don't have to be circumcised. On the cross He said: It's done. Man doesn't have to do anything else to complete the picture. No, Jesus has finished painting the picture. We must accept it and make it part of our lives.

If someone ever comes to you and makes you feel bad because you don't do something or didn't do something the way they believe it should be done, remember this verse. Jesus has done everything for us.

When you realize what Jesus has done, that He has borne our punishment, and has prepared a place for us in heaven, we are filled with gratitude. Sometimes the tears run down my cheeks when I think about what I actually deserve. Looking at my actions, looking at my unwillingness (what I should have done for others, but was too lazy to do), I feel lower than low and realize that I have not even done the little I could've done to show my gratitude.

And then the realization that despite my own shortcomings I'm still not disqualified. Never! That is the abundant grace of God. Wow! What a wonderful God we serve. And I pray hard: Lord, open my eyes for opportunities to show my gratitude.

Bible Reading

   Philippians 3:1-3

Reflection

Is God's grace enough?

Outward signs can be misleading...

How does your life show your gratitude?

Prayer

Lord, God Almighty. Open my eyes for opportunities to live my gratitude. Amen

For more information go to http://www.crossroad247.com


 By Gerjo Ben Van Der Merwe


Article Source: Jesus Does Everything

No comments:

Post a Comment

Informations From: Collections Article

Nasib

Nasib Nasib Oliver Cadwell. Usia 25 tahun. Mengambil jurusan keuangan. 3 tahun pengalaman kerja. "Sempurna. Dialah yang kita butuhka...