Getting Fed From the Buffet of Life, Love, and Faith

I love you. I need you. You need me. We are better together. As a 49 year old man, in 2016, during the political campaign, I know these words are hard to come by, hard for some to hear, and may even be harder to process in these days.

I grew up in small suburb of Omaha, in a single parent family in the 70's. I rode my bike a mile, or so, down the road to pick up milk and bread throughout the week as needed, with no worries or second guesses of my safety.

We knew our neighbors, and they knew me. They also had permission to use my middle name if needed!
I attended the local Baptist Church for Sunday School. I liked going shopping with mom to Hested's, and then to Baker's for groceries. That was our routine on most Sunday's. I loved people walking by and saying hello to my mom, calling her by her name. My mom knew everyone, it seemed.

One important life lesson I learned from mom before she died, was that you always make room for others... in life, at the dinner table, and especially when they need you.

As I look back, it was only a matter of time before I realized I was to be a Chaplain. I had been on that path my entire life. It was not until I was 42 that I realized my calling. Sometimes I think I was late in life, or born during the wrong generation. And I am always reassured I am right where I am to be, for now.

Today we live in a day and time that our culture speaks, teaches, and promotes things, ideas, and events that often divide us, that separate us, that disconnect us.

I see that too often, faith is one of those. So many people, since the beginning of time, have been killed, wounded, and been separated from family and friends in the name of religion. That is not to say that there are not some happy ending stories, and there are. I am painfully aware of the hurt, harm, and disdain that religion has caused, is causing, and what may be in the future.

In seminary, they sure tried to undue some of my habits, some they could. Some they could not. One is when preparing for the message, we find the scripture, and tell a story. For me, I had to tell the story, and find scripture. And not every time would I link my story to scripture. Sometimes the story stood on it's own.

Today, I share a concept that religion and faith, is a lot like a food buffet. Stay with me... when each of us goes to the food buffet, do we ALWAYS eat every item on the buffet? And is anyone's plate going to be identical? I think most people would answer no to each question.

And I submit that because our choices in food, and in what we think about faith and religion may not the be same, is that any reason for us not to sit at the same table to eat, love, and share life? Again, I bet most would say no.

The unfortunate thing is that, we don't seem to live like that, as nice as it may sound. We too often allow politics, religion, education, color of skin, sexual orientation, gender identity, and other factors prevent us from sitting at the same table.

I share a message and belief that you are not alone. No matter who you are, where you from, who you love, or what you believe; you are beautiful, loved, and worthy, just as you are.

I love you. I need you. You need me. We are better together.
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Informations From: Collections Article

Nasib

Nasib Nasib Oliver Cadwell. Usia 25 tahun. Mengambil jurusan keuangan. 3 tahun pengalaman kerja. "Sempurna. Dialah yang kita butuhka...